Monday, October 25, 2010

I've been daydreaming

[ source ]


A lag in posts, how typical of me! I have an excuse though. I had my wisdom teeth out on Friday, and prior to that, I'd been busy with pursuing things in my career-path-of-choice. How vague, I know. I just don't like talking about things until they're set in stone!

Anyway, the ol' teeth. The surgery itself was a breeze, seeing as I remember none of it. They took me in, put me in a chair, hooked me up to an IV that they said was saline, but I don't remember anything after that, other than them saying I had beautiful veins and should donate blood (fat chance). I woke up in another room, in a bed, feeling very cold and thinking how weird it was that someone probably had to carry me in there. I wasn't too wonky or woozy and haven't had any odd painkiller experiences. My sockets have been swollen and driving me crazy, and I'm hungry for food with substance and texture, but otherwise I'm doing fine, I guess. Pudding and whipped cream are the highlight of it all!

I've been bedridden mostly and have had plenty of time to daydream about things. While my thoughts are mostly occupied of visions of burritos, bento boxes and burgers, I've also had aesthetic images floating about, don't worry. It seems that Never Let Me Go influenced me more than just emotionally. The outfits worn by Keira, Carey, and Andrew have seeped into my brain and have got me craving the chunkiest, warmest sweaters around and Wellies, o'course. I've been craving the English countryside (despite having never been there), so images of what I can recall closely, Nova Scotia's Cabot Trail, are coming to mind. Nova Scotia is, after all, another term for "New Scotland", and the tiny fishing villages of the trail, the long beach grasses and giant cliffs, remind me of what England's coast is probably like.

[ source ]

[ source ]


[ source ]


So I'm really now just dying to be along the Atlantic, with a small little cottage and some baby pygmy goats, teaching myself to knit and drinking far too much tea. It's been ages since I've been in Nova Scotia 'round this time of year, and while to some the bitter, wet, and foggy weather is miserable, it's comforting to me.

[ all items Zara, save for bottom-right boots, by Hunter; photo of Carey Mulligan and Keira Knightley - behind the scenes of Never Let Me Go; Cabot Trail photo ]

All of this has culminated into an obsession with the DRAB. Everything in olive, khaki and moss tones, please! And thick, sturdy materials. Suede, corduroy, wool, tweed, and velvet. I've wanted velvet shorts for over a year now, which is odd since I detest the fabric. But I could handle some velvet shorts, I think. Everywhere I look though, they're upwards of $50. So I'm thinking perhaps I need to sew some myself.

I do realize this post is a bit rambling and difficult to follow, and I'm going to take a minute to apologize and also blame the codeine in my post-surgery painkillers. It's been responsible for some really odd trains of thought lately, not to mention a complete destruction of my short-term memory for the time being.

I keep popping in and out of my web tabs, bopping between the Zara site and Design*Sponge's excellent "Living In" feature, which partially inspired this post ... and well, what am I getting at? I'm not sure. Basically, this post ... this is an introduction to what I'm feeling for Fall and Winter. There will be more to come, I'm sure. But for the time being, here we are.

I'll finish this off by asking, what are your inspirations for getting dressed this season? Movies, particular places you've traveled, animals, songs? Ideas can come from anywhere, especially when your head is off in such sleepy places!

-Hannah

6 comments:

callie said...

I love that style board. I want everything please. Also, I've always wanted to go to Nova Scotia, but now I REALLY want to go.

Arianne said...

I really love the collections from Zara and Topshop this year. They are EXACTLY what I would choose to buy for the rest of my life. But too expensive! So I have to shop wisely.

Arianne from A + B in the Sea

ZHENYA ZHURAVLYOVA said...

beautiful!))
http://newbloodstyle-hautecouture.blogspot.com

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I'm going to watch Never let me go this thursday. I almost cried just to see the trailer, it seems so sad. I loved your inspiration board.

Zoƫ said...

Everyone, well the US bloggers I follow anyway have been raving about this film! The clothes sound lovely, I watched the trailer though and it seems really odd. Haven't read the book.

I don't like to talk about things until they're definite either, in case I jinx them! I'm intrigued!

I'm looking to Annie Hall for inspiration this season, but how to look sharp with loads of layers though? A thermal vest is my wardrobe staple this year. Boooring,